Were you aware that Oral Cancer accounts for about 5% of all cancerous growths diagnosed in North America and that men over 40 are diagnosed twice as often as women?
The good news is that if detected early, treatment is easier, less invasive and treatable in more than 90% of cases.
An important step in the early detection of the disease is regular visits to your dentist. As part of your regular cleaning and check-up we screen you for the signs and symptoms of oral cancer.
Symptoms of Oral Cancer Include:
• Sore, lump or ulcer
• May be a deep hard-edged crack in the tissue
• Most often pale coloured, but may be dark or discoloured
• On the tongue, lip, or other area of the mouth
• Usually painless at first (can develop a burning sensation or pain when the tumour is advanced)
Other Symptoms include:
• Abnormal taste is mouth
• Chewing problems
• Mouth sores
• Pain or difficulty when swallowing
• Speech difficulties
• Tongue discomfort
• Unexplained weight loss
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle as well as regular professional check-ups will help to increase the chance of early detection and minimize your risk.
If you have any questions or concerns about oral cancer please feel free ask one of our friendly team members on your next visit.